I'm fond of a bit of bunting or a garland here or there, and last year I made a felt one in autumnal colours. It hung on the mantelpiece looking quite lovely until my children decided to have a sword fight in the living room. Turns out felt garlands aren't swordproof. Anyway, I finally got round to mending it and here it is, although who knows how long it'll survive. It's a pretty easy garland to make and you can adapt it to use more or less any fabric you like. It's a good way to upcycle old clothes.
I started by cutting some felt I had made into circles about 4cm in diameter. I made three or four batches in different colours and then just fed them one by one through the sewing machine. In spite of the fact that my sewing machine is far from fancy it handled the felt very well, although I had to leave the presser foot up because some of the circles were more than 5mm thick. Once I was happy with the length, I sewed hanging loops made from some packaging string I happened to have on each end.
Here's another autumn felt project that I'm pretty pleased with:
These little pumpkins are made from shop bought felt, which is much thinner than the chunky stuff I make myself, and therefore lends itself to layering. Each one is made from three circles of felt machine sewn together, with a couple of leaves hand sewn to the top. I left a long tail of thread attached so that I could hang them up. I used an orange Sharpie to draw round the circle templates, and I was going to trim the pen marks off, but I didn't because I quite liked the darker edges on the circles: they look a bit like ridges on the pumpkin skin. Of course you could make these little decorations in any shape you liked. Something for the Christmas tree, perhaps?
No comments:
Post a Comment